The Latest, Hot News from Okonjima - Home of AfriCat!
2014 RATES NOW AVAILABLE
- We have eliminated the Full Board rate at Plains Camp, based on guest preferences, allowing greater flexibility with regards to adding activities as desired and not losing out on a pre-paid trail due to late arrivals etc.
- By Jan 2014: New, elegant View Rooms at Plains Camp will be complete. An enhanced offering with an attractive bespoke look and feel. We trust that these rooms will become much sought-after.
- Plains Camp will be decidedly more family oriented, with no age restriction and activities to encourage lingering for more than a single night.
- By Jan 2014: The 6 old Garden Rooms will be withdrawn from circulation, and our previous View Rooms, now known as STANDARD ROOMS, will be priced at Garden Room rates. This is a value uplift for guests, and the popular View Rooms of 2013 are now our entry-level accommodation for 2014.
- We will also periodically be offering Green Season rates during our LOW season.
- Our Camp Site rates have been split between an accommodation and an activity rate. All trails are now excluded and booked separately at an additional cost.
OKONJIMA LODGE UPGRADES:
Main Camp 2013:
With a view to always offering the highest quality product at a competitive price, we have embarked on a 10 week upgrade of OKONJIMA MAIN CAMP, which commenced on the 15TH of January until the 29th of March 2013.
When MAIN CAMP re-opens on the 29th of March we will have 6 standard Garden Rooms only, but will now have 12 View Rooms.
(please note: Any 'group' bookings that have booked 10 Garden Rooms – the over-flow will be upgraded to the View Rooms)
Upgrades and renovations at Main Camp will continue after the lodge opens end March, right up until mid December 2013. Our guest’s need for privacy and 'bush-silence' will be taken into consideration.
30 March – 1 August 2013: 'Behind-the-scenes' building continues.
By the 1st of August 2013: Main Camp will host 6 Garden Rooms and 14 View Rooms.
ALL NEW - 2014!
Plains Camp 2014:
JANUARY 2014 – The new OKONJIMA PLAINS CAMP will open. A new Lapa, pool & entertainment area will host the 2-tier accommodation facility.
We will withdrawn the 6 old Garden Rooms from circulation, and our previous View Rooms, now known as STANDARD ROOMS, will be priced at Garden Room rates. This is a value uplift for guests, and the popular View Rooms of 2013 are now our entry-level accommodation for 2014.
14 Standard Rooms. This means the long established garden rooms will be replaced by elegant, standard rooms overlooking a water-hole and open savanna grass-plain, therefore providing, a unique bush experience for all our Plains Camp guests.
6 new, luxurious View Rooms, with a bush view over a grass plain, will replace the old view-room-rate and by 1 August 2014 – Plains Camp will boast 14 new, luxury View Rooms.
Bush Camp 2014:
Our 8 luxury Bush Camp Chalets, and the private Honeymoon Suite are meticulously maintained in an indoor/outdoor configuration, providing a unique African bush feeling. Next year will see further enhancements to these rooms, to ensure they remain at the forefront of Namibia’s accommodation offerings.
OKONJIMA’S PRIVATE, BUSH CAMP WILL BE CLOSED FROM 15 JANUARY 2014 TO 30 JUNE 2014.
During this upgrading period, bookings for Bush Camp will be spread between the Plains Camp View Rooms, Bush Suite, and our exclusive Villa.
As always, we are excited by the planned improvements to Okonjima and we look forward to being able to provide an enhanced lodge and wild-life experience to our valued guests and agents.
ALL NEW! THIS YEAR STEPPES IS OFFERING 2 EXCLUSIVE 'BEHIND-THE-SCENES' SAFARIS TO OKONJIMA
STEPPES DISCOVERY UK, IS THE MAIN AFRICAT ANNUAL HEALTH-CHECK SPONSOR and has long been an admirer of AfriCat’s innovative approach towards the conservation of Namibia’s large carnivores; "We have been impressed with their ability to adapt as the demands of conservation change and commend their commitment to using responsible tourism as an essential tool in protecting Namibia’s big cats. While they continue to rise to the ever changing challenges of conservation in Namibia we will continue to support their crucial work."
ALL NEW! THIS YEAR STEPPES IS OFFERING 2 EXCLUSIVE 'BEHIND-THE-SCENES' SAFARIS TO OKONJIMA.
The first group of volunteers that will be assisting us - is now fully booked – but this year, because of the nature of this 2013 vet-check – STEPPES is offering a 2nd volunteer safari!
Read More: AfriCat Health Check 2012
Contact JARROD or JACKIE www.steppesdiscovery.co.uk for wildlife and conservation travel and book your space – FIRST COME, FIRST BOOKED – 8 PAX MAX!
WINTER AND SUMMER TIME CHECKS - HALF & FULLBOARD GUIDELINES:
There is accommodation to suit all budgets, from a private camp site to real safari lodges, but wherever you stay on Okonjima, you will be guaranteed an African safari to remember.
Okonjima offers 6 different activity options during a 2-day stay! Guests always want to know when which trail starts, when do we meet for coffee or what time is the wake-up call?
The HB & FB page will remind you what is included and what is excluded, in the rate you are paying to stay at Okonjima.
or find our page under the menu -
Activities / sub-menu your program / sub sub-menu activity time checks.
Accommodation / sub-menu Half Board & Full Board
DAY VISITS to "THE AFRICAT FOUNDATION" will start on the 1 August 2012!
Children are welcome! A light lunch-pack will be on offer – prior notice necessary.
Visitors will be able to observe some of this programme at work and learn more about these amazing and beautiful animals.
Rates: See Day visit rates.
2013 RATE CHANGES:
2013 SPECIAL FOR ALL CHILDREN! – Commissionable for all ground handlers and tour-operators.
See 2013 rates: Rates of different camps
- 7 yrs to 12 yrs less 40% off rack rate
- 12 yrs to 16 yrs less 30% off rack rate
- Guided trails for children between 7 and 16 years now N$250 per person per trail.
- Kids are welcome, but please take note; no extra ‘kiddie meals” nor child-care is available.
- Due to the nature of our activities, child participation is age restricted.
NEW AGE LIMIT @ MAIN CAMP! CHILDREN 7 YRS AND OLDER ARE WELCOME AT OKONJIMA’S MAIN CAMP
CHILDREN OF ALL AGES WELCOME @ OKONJIMA’S BUSH SUITE
VILLA & BUSH CAMP RATES changed for 2013
2013 RATES NOW AVAILABLE
– see rates of different camps
NOTE: Bush Camp and Main Camp view rooms have dropped slightly in rate for 2013
PARKFEE has increased due to an Environmental Education Fee (EE Fund) now added
The Environmental Education Fund has been introduced now because Okonjima and AfriCat are committed to their ideal of contributing to long-term conservation through education.
The Environmental Education Fund will contribute to the running and maintenance of the 3 main aspects of our “conservation through education” program as follows:
- Perivoli Okonjima Country School (Kindergarten – Grade 4). This school aims to provide the best possible introductory schooling, with a strong environmental bias, for our resident children. This will facilitate their integration into a bigger main stream school after grade 4 with a sound foundation in environmental awareness.
- The Environmental Education Centre where visiting secondary school groups participate in an intensive environmental awareness program.
- The Adult Education program which currently has two main aspects. Firstly the continued work with both commercial and communal farms to co-exist with resident predators. Secondly we are working towards using our 20 000ha / 200km² Nature Reserve as a classroom for tertiary students at all levels; especially future farmers, teachers and decision makers. Furthermore the Nature Reserve is used to gather a wide range of data for current and future research which will ultimately contribute to the conservation of Namibia’s predators.
GREEN-SEASON ‘SPECIAL’ NOW ON FOR ALL NAMIBIAN AND SADC CITIZENS! – December to June! Book now!
BUSH CAMP NOW OFFERS A FULLY INCLUSIVE RATE
NEW EXTRA’S FOR CAMPERS ON OFFER!
(Pre-booking required for dinner, brunch, lunch and tracking activity - Limited availability)
- CARNIVORE TRACKING in the 20 000ha Private, Nature Reserve - Guided. Additional cost for a 1 night stay = N$155.00 per person.
- MEALS - Dinner/Brunch/Lunch can be booked at the lodge
Additional cost (Adult) = Dinner 200.00 per person / Brunch 150.00 per person / Lunch 120.00 per person.
Additional cost (Children 4-12yrs) = Dinner 120.00 per person / Brunch 100.00 per person / Lunch 95.00 per person.
See: campsite rates
- The OKONJIMA PRIVATE, NATURE RESERVE – now 20 000ha / 200km² and only 10 km off the B1 – halfway between Windhoek and Etosha National Park - see more: News - Okonjima's new 20,000 hectare nature reserve
VIDEO CLIP OF CHRIS PACKHAM – TV PRESENTER & AUTHOR WITH A PASSION FOR CONSERVATION & AFRICAT’S PATRON. NOW AVB ON UTUBE!!
Chris Packham recently spent 10 days in the 200 km²private, Okonjima Nature Reserve – documenting the work we do, our mission to try and change the way Namibians understand Human Wildlife Conflict and that the ‘survival of carnivores’ depends on a more, tolerant land-owner. Making ‘Conservation Through Education’ a priority we hope to get our message across with the help from someone who understands the concept ‘sustainable, long-term conservation’.
LATEST OKONJIMA / AFRICAT NEWS UPDATES
- see more: